[WHB] Konyaku and Mango Orange Pudding

Have you ever heard about konyaku, shirataki or iles-iles before?  Konyaku is a traditional Japanese jelly-like health food made from a kind of potato called "Konnyaku potato" and calcium hydroxide or oxide calcium extracted from eggshells.  I my self didn't know that konyaku potato and iles-iles were the same plant, which I heard about iles-iles before when I was in school. The konnyaku potato (Amorphophallus sp.) is native to Indonesia.  Amorphophallus sp goes by several unflattering names in English (Devil�s tongue, Voodoo lily). In Japan , this plant is cultivated for food purpose only, but wild forms grow naturally in Southeast Asia and China.

Many of our modern foods are acid foods.  Konnyaku, on the other hand, is a uniquely alkaline food. It is said that modern people had better eat more alkaline food in order to keep healthy. Therefore, Konnyaku is an ideal health food for us.

Through this website, I found so many benefits in konyaku.  Konnyaku is a marvellous health food and an ideal food for weight control and prevention of obesity because low in calories, no fat, rich in mineral and full of dietary fibre.  It means it helps maintain our health and ultimately, it prevents against bowel cancer and haemorrhoids.  I also found in this website, that iles-iles a.k.a konyaku potato is also added for smoothing skin looking in cosmetic industry.   If you want to see the plant's picture, please go visit http://www.humanflowerproject.com/index.php/weblog/comments/563/ , http://food.3yen.com/2007-09-04/konnyaku-jelly/ .

I had been craving for mango pudding since I saw Pippi�s post.  It reminds me of mango pudding at dim sum restaurants which is served by pouring evaporated milk on top.  I remember I still have several package of unflavoured and flavoured konyaku powder, also unflavoured agar-agar powder that I bought when I was on vacation to Vancouver.  While I was looking for my konyaku powder in my pantry, yayyy I had the mango flavoured one .

Mango Flavoured Konyaku Jelly Powder


Asian pudding is slightly different with Western pudding. In Indonesia, pudding�s recipes is used unflavoured or flavoured agar-agar powder or konyaku powder, which has similar texture to gelatin.


Agar-Agar Powder

I prefer use the fresh mango than canned mango. Good thing! I saw fresh mangoes were on sale at the store. I still had 3 fresh oranges, might as well combined those fruits together. Recipe was modified from Pippi's recipe. Thank you, Pi!

Konyaku's information and mango orange pudding is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging this week, hosted by Ulrike of Kuchenlatein.


Mango Orange Pudding
modified from Cerita Pippi's recipes


Ingredients:
1 1/2 fresh ripe mangoes, peeled, discard the pit and chopped; yield about 500 g.
3 fresh oranges, grate the skin, squeeze, you will get about 1/4 cup of combining orange juice with pulp and orange zest
1 package mango flavoured konyaku powder ( I used Indonesian brand �Nutrijell�), this package will come with fruity acid powder*
1 package unflavoured agar-agar powder (I used Indonesian brand �Bola Dunia�)
� cup sugar (you can add more sugar if you like sweet taste)
1200 ml water

evaporated milk for the sauce


Directions:
1. Blend mangoes, orange juice and pulp, orange zest and sugar together until smooth in a blender.
2. In a medium pot, add water, blended fruit mixture, unflavoured agar-agar powder, mango flavoured konyaku powder. Bring to boil and stir ocassionally until done. Remove from heat. Let stand for 3 minutes, add fruity acid powder, and stir until dissolved.
3. Wet jelly molds with water before using. Pour into prepared jelly molds. Cool down until set, unmold puddings, place on dessert plates and pour evaporated milk on top.

*Fruity acid powder is optional, you can add into or just omit it.

Source of Konyaku's information
-
http://www.shakespeare-w.com/english/konnyaku/whatis.html
-
http://iptek.apjii.or.id/artikel/pangan/IPB/Iles-iles.pdf

0 comments:

Post a Comment