[Food Photo Series] Caribbean Oxtail Stew

Caribbean Oxtail Cover

Before you jump into conclusion, I'll tell you this is not my cooking. We ordered from Caribbean Spice Restaurant on Sunday evening. Since it was really damn cold - 43 degrees Celsius with windchil, both of us craved Caribbean food, we didn't feel to go out to get warm and hot spicy Caribbean food. Our Caribbean favourite restaurant, Tropikis doesn't deliver, we looked up on yellow pages and tried another Caribbean restaurant in the city.

I didn't aware about Caribbean food until I came to Canada. My husband who introduced me to Caribbean food and I felt in love right away. I do love their goat curry roti as well. It does taste spicy with chili but not too much other spices . I guess Caribbean food is closed to Indonesian culinary that has more chili added.


Hot Sauce, Caribbean Oxtail Stew, Dhal Puri Roti

As you can see above picture, that hot sauce is real damn hot. It did made my lips "jontor" or burn. The oxtail stew was really tender and I can taste combination of allspice. Allspice is a small round fruit if you can see on these pictures, strongly aromatic, like cloves with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg; the taste is similar, but with some peppery heat. Allspice is also known as Jamaican pepper or Pimento. My order came with roti and garden salad. The thing that I like from Caribbean roti is stuffed with dhal puri. Dhal puri is a seasoned mushy split pea. If you wonder how to make that dhal puri roti from scratch, please visit Cynthia's blog, Tastes Like Home.


Caribbean Oxtail Stew 1

As my husband is a pesco vegetarian, he stuck to his favourite vegetarian roti. His lips did got burned by the hot sauce too :).


Caribbean Oxtail Stew 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment