[WHB] Chickpeas Vegetable Roti, a recipe of Caribbean

I still remember somebody asked for a recipe of Caribbean Roti that I had at Tropikis while I posted a review of Tropikis here.

According to one of our friends who is her family from Caribbean islands (I'm not sure which country), they say curry vegetable not vegetable curry. So don't think I mistype if I write Curry Chickpeas Vegetable.

Tropikis restaurant itself sells frozen roti shells in a package. I just made the curry with Jamaican spicy curry powder, chick peas, carrots, potato, bird's eye chillies, red onion, and garlic. I found some of Caribbean curry recipes on the internet. Most of them are called for Betty Blind's hot sauce, the Caribbean style hot sauce which I don't have it, so I substituted for chopped bird's eye chillies. This roti shell is very wide and has dhal puri inside, so if you don't have time to cook the curry just warm up the roti shell in the microwave and enjoy it, it's already tasty due the dhal puri stuffed inside :).

Roti Shells

Chickpea or garbanzo bean information can be read on wikipedia. Chickpeas vegetable roti's recipe is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging this week, hosted by Katie of Thyme for Cooking.


Chickpeas Vegetable Roti
Internet sources and modified by me


Caribbean Curry Chick Peas Vegetable Roti

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 large red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic,minced
2 -3 tsp Blind Betty hot sauce (I omit this and substituted for chopped of bird's eye chillies)
3-4 tbsp Jamaican style spicy curry powder
1 1/2 cups homemade vegetable broth ( I usually made the pesco vegetarian version by adding shrimp heads and skins)
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
250 g cauliflower florets

frozen roti shells ready to use

Directions:
Curry Chickpeas Vegetable


Curry Chick Peas Vegetables

1. In a large skillet saut� garlic, onion and chilli 3-4 minutes. Add curry powder and saut� 1-2 min.

2. Add vegetable broth, potato, carrots, cauliflower and as much water as needed to cover everything. Simmer till potato is very tender and begin to reduce broth.

3. Add the chickpeas and cook another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and turn off. This can now stand till just before serving time. It will thicken a little as it cools.

At serving time, heat the curry mixture to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon. You want a nice thick curry stew.


Chickpeas Vegetable Roti


Cut, Open and See the Inside

Warm up dhal roti in a microwave, place on plate, put generous portion of curry chickpeas vegetable in center of roti. Fold into flat tube with ends folded under. Salad and rice are good accompaniments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment