Semur Ikan Bawal // White Pomfret in Sweet Soy Sauce

Don't have to go to work. Woke up late and turned on my computer. One email that was really bother me from one of my girl friends who lives in Eden. It's about 2 hours 35 minutes from Winnipeg. She told me that somebody used a food picture of mine that I was taken in 2006, and put on his blog without any permission. I don't mind if somebody want to use my pictures (which are very amateur) as long as they ask me first. It was a recipe of Sop Konro and Grilled Konro (literally Makasar Style Beef Ribs Soup and Grilled Beef Ribs) which I posted on my multiply. The recipe was also translated by me from an Indonesian cookbook that I brought from Indonesia.

Ohh well, sometimes people just don't care about that. They think it's not a big deal, it's just a blog. My first step was leaving comments on his blog and now just wait for his respond.

Anyway, back to my lazy Saturday. Little bit chill this morning, I went to Van Loi on Mc. Phillips st, and Dong Thai on Notre Dame ave. At Van Loi, you can buy South East Asian fruits, such as Rambutan, Mangosteen, Duku etc. Sometimes I saw those fruits are sold at Dong Thai too. Van Loi is a bigger Asian grocery store than Dong Thai, but still I like going to Dong Thai more, due to variety of Indonesian stuffs and also I make a good friend with the owner.

After browsing around and bought some stuffs at those two Asian grocery stores, I went back home and prepared this semur which I didn't have it for so long. It's just an ordinary semur for me.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Ingredients:
350 g white pomfret fish
1 lime, squeeze to get the juice
garlic powder
ground turmeric
salt

2 tofus, cut each tofu into four same size pieces
2 potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
50 g bean threads (also known as soun or suun in Indonesian, cellophane noodles, Chinese vermicelli, bean thread noodles, or glass noodles), soak in hot water for couple minutes and drain
1 tomato, cubed
2-3 tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
600 ml water
oil for deep fry and stir fry

Ground Spices:
4 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground white pepper
salt as desired

Directions:
1. Clean fish by cleaning out the stomach cavity, removing the gills and surrounding tissue, then clean well with tap water.

2. Rub fish with lime juice, garlic powder, turmeris and salt. Marinate for 15 minutes. Deep fry until golden brown. Set aside.

3. Deep fry tofus and potatoes until lightly golden brown. Set aside.

4. Stir fry ground spices until fragrant. Add tomato and kecap manis, stir evenly.

5. Add fish, tofus, potatoes and water. Let them simmer for 15 minutes.

6. Add cooked bean threads, stir evenly. Remove from heat and transfer into a serving plate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment