St Norbert Farmers' Market

_MG_6284

I'm always excited about Farmers' Market which it used to be part of my job. The St. Norbert Farmers' Market is the biggest farmers' market in Manitoba. This year is the second year I visited St. Norbert Farmers' Market. On Saturday, June 5, I went down on the first day of St Norbert FM opened for the season.

When I woke up in the morning, all I hope was finding lemon basil plants at the Sage Garden Herbs vendor. I was ready with my reuse shopping bag and camera backpack.

I arrived at the market around 10AM and saw some media people. I was wondering what occasion was. But, I didn't expect there would be the Manitoba Premiere, Greg Selinger at the market. Around 11 PM, he gave a speech and mentioned about a grant injection to the St Norbert Farmers' Market Co-op, a $32,300 grant from the provincial government. This money will be used for a study that will explore ways to help the co-op become more financially sustainable.

Media CrewCandid Picture of Greg Selinger
My Candid Shots of Media Crew and the Manitoba Premier, Greg Selinger when he received a buckt of Fresh Vegetables from the market


The Sage Garden Herbs is one of my favourite vendors and selling many variety organic tropical plants. Last year, I recalled this vendor brought guava, papaya, banana, some different basils and many more to the market.

At the Sage vendor
Clockwise: lemon basil (Indonesian: kemangi), galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas/laos), rosemary, and coffee arabica



Another vendor that I like is Wenkai Farm, sold fresh produces, including the oriental one such as bok choy. I took two pictures of Wenkai's radishes since they were so attractive and red.
Radishes



I can't remember one vendor's name that sold Mizuna. Honestly, I never tried Mizuna, so I gave myself a try. From wikipedia, I found that Mizuna is also called Xiu Cai, Kyona, Japanese Mustard, Potherb Mustard, Japanese Greens, California Peppergrass, Spider Mustard, etc., is a Japanese name used primarily for cultivated varieties of Brassica rapa nipposinica but also for Brassica juncea var. japonica.
Mizuna



Yes, I'm crazy about Saskatoon berry. This saskatoon berry nectar is a new product from Graham's Groves. The sweetness and acidity are perfect for me; I don't like too sweet or sour things, except sourness from real citrus.
Saskatoon Nectar


The market situation
People


Prairie Grass
Prairie Grasses

0 comments:

Post a Comment